Congressman fires communications director over ‘Jewish money’ comment, says such comments have ‘no place in our community’
STATEN ISLAND, NY (Press Release) – Congressman Mike McMahon (Democrat-New York) issued the following statement after his campaign announced that it has fired Campaign Communications Director Jennifer Nelson:
“These comments were entirely inappropriate and there is no place for this kind of behavior. I was outraged by these unfortunate remarks which were unauthorized and are in no way indicative of my beliefs or of my campaign,” said Congressman Michael E. McMahon.
“I am proud to represent an incredibly diverse community and to enjoy an incredibly diverse base of support. Any comments that could serve to divide our community along religious or ethnic lines have no place in our community or my campaign. I sincerely apologize for her comments, and as she has since been terminated from our campaign, there will be no such incidents in the future.”
McMahon’s campaign previously was criticized by representatives of both the Republican Jewish Coalition and the National Jewish Democratic Council.
*
Preceding provided by Congressman Michael McMahon
Former Mossad chief Yatom to speak in San Diego
LA JOLLA, California (SDJW)—Israel’s retired chief of the Mossad, Maj. Gen. Danny Yatom, will be the featured speaker Saturday, Oct. 30, at the “First Annual Gala Dinner” of the Friends of the Israel Defense Forces at La Jolla Hilton Torrey Pines.
The 7 p.m. event also will honor Charles and Randi Wax, Carl and Elizabeth Allen Sr, and Carl and Gigi Allen Jr.
An FIDF flyer for the event notes that Yatom was born in Netanya, served for 33 years in the IDF, including in the 1967 Six Day War and the 1973 Yom Kippur War, and was chief of staff during the “Peace for Galilee Operation,” also known as the 1982 Lebanon War. Later he served as a military secretary to Israel’s Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin, and was appointed head of the Mossad in 1998.
Yatom subsequently served two terms in the Knesset before founding Global Strategic Group, which provides “multidisciplinary security solutions to governments and corporations.”
Those interested in attending the dinner may email San Diego FIDF Executive Director Nir BenZvi at sandiego@fidf.org
*
Preceding based on material provided by Friends of the Israel Defense Forces
Wildfire evacuees may be entitled to additional living expenses from insurance companies
SACRAMENTO (Press Release)–California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner reminded residents who have been evacuated due to the recent wildfires (including the Crown Fire, West Fire and Bull Fire,) that they may be eligible for reimbursement for additional living expenses due to mandatory evacuations. Commissioner Poizner also encouraged all Californians to make sure their insurance policies are updated and to conduct a home inventory today.
“Anyone who has been forced to evacuate their home due to the recent wildfires should check their insurance policies. Many homeowners policies cover additional living expenses that result from mandatory evacuations – including hotel stays and extra food costs. If any evacuees have insurance questions, I encourage them to call the Department of Insurance at 800-927-HELP.”
Many residential homeowners insurance policies cover what is known as ALE, or additional living expenses. This permits homeowners to maintain their normal standard of living by covering the increased living expenses incurred as a result of damage caused by the fire or a mandatory evacuation. ALE coverage typically includes extra food costs, increased housing costs, furniture rental, relocation and storage costs, telephone installation and extra transportation costs to and from school or work, after the deductible is reached.
A free home inventory guide is available on the Department of Insurance website or by calling the CDI Consumer Hotline at 800-927-HELP.
*
Preceding provided by California Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner
Filner, Emerald endorse Lutz for Congress
SAN DIEGO (SDJW)–Two Jewish public officeholders—Congressman Bob Filner and San Diego City Councilwoman Marti Emerald – have endorsed fellow Democrat Ray Lutz, 52, in his effort to unseat incumbent Republican Congressman Duncan D. Hunter.
The endorsements of these and other prominent Democrats were announced in connection with a fundraiser for Lutz in the Gaslamp Quarter.
*
Preceding based on materials provided by Ray Lutz
NJDC denounces fellow Democrat for counting foe’s Jewish donors
{Editor’s Note: A subsequent press release from National Jewish Democratic Council retracted this statement below.}
WASHINGTON, DC (Press Release)– National Jewish Democratic Council (NJDC) President and CEO, David A. Harris, on Friday issued the following statement regarding revelations that Representative Michael McMahon’s (D-NY) reelection campaign was “counting” his opponent’s Jewish donors:
“NJDC strongly denounces the actions taken by Representative McMahon’s campaign. It is never acceptable to ‘count Jews’ in this way or to perpetuate age-old stereotypes about the Jewish community.
While McMahon took an important first step by holding his spokesperson accountable for her inflammatory statements, many unanswered questions about the incident remain. We strongly encourage Representative McMahon to work quickly and appropriately to address the deeply irresponsible actions taken by his campaign.”
*
Preceding provided by National Jewish Democratic Council
Germans charge Samuel Kunz with being a killer at Belzec
BONN (WJC)–Prosecutors in Germany have filed charges against a 90-year-old man for allegedly helping to murder 430,000 Jews during World War II. Samuel Kunz, 90, was charged in a Bonn court last week. He has reportedly admitted to working in the Nazi extermination camp Belzec in occupied Poland.
Kunz, who denies having personally murdered anyone, also is charged in connection with two incidents at Belzec in which ten Jews were killed. He was a witness in the Munich war crimes trial against John Demjanjuk, who is charged as an accomplice in the murders of 27,900 Jews while serving as a guard at the Sobibor death camp in Poland.
“The prosecution decided to file the charges with the chamber because at the beginning of the period the accused was an adolescent,” court spokesman Matthias Nordmeyer told the BBC. Under German law, adult suspects aged between 18 and 21 can be charged as minors or as adults.
Two other men under investigation for possible Nazi-era war crimes died earlier this month before going on trial. Former SS officer Erich Steidtmann, 95, accused of leading Nazi police battalions that committed mass murder of Jews in eastern Europe, died this week in Hanover. Adolf Storms, 90, indicted for killing 57 Jewish men in Austria in March 1945 at the end of World War II, died in his home city of Duisburg. He allegedly forced the men, slave laborers, to hand over their valuables before he shot them.
*
Preceding provided by World Jewish Congress
RJC slams congressman for counting opponent’s ‘Jewish money’
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Press Release) — Republican Jewish Coalition Executive Director Matthew Brooks on Friday issued a statement in response to Rep. Mike McMahon’s (Democrat-New York) reelection campaign attacking “Jewish money” going to a potential Republican challenger.
“Congressman McMahon has fired his communications director, but what about the other staff involved? Who asked for that list to be compiled? Who approved that action? Congressman McMahon needs to do more than apologize for ‘inappropriate comments’ – he must be held accountable for actions that his campaign staff took to count Jews supporting his rival,” Brooks said.
“It is appalling to see such anti-Jewish stereotypes coming from the campaign of a congressman who describes himself as a mainstream, centrist Democrat,” Brooks added. “I don’t think this is something that should be swept under the rug. Seeing such bigotry from a sitting congressman’s campaign is deeply troubling.”
On Thursday, the reelection campaign of Democratic Rep. Mike McMahon (NY-13) shared with the New York Observer a list of Jewish donors who contributed to Mike Grimm, a potential Republican contender for his seat in November. McMahon’s staff offered a list of over 80 names, labeled “Grimm Jewish Money Q2,” supposedly to show that Grimm’s substantial second-quarter fundraising proceeds came from outside the district.
David Freedlander of the New York Observer quotes McMahon campaign spokesman Jennifer Nelson:
Politico.com picked up the story, quoting Grimm’s response:
Within hours, McMahon fired Nelson and issued an apology for the “inappropriate” and “unfortunate” remarks made by Nelson.
*
